Thursday, June 8, 2017

Happiness

It is early, but I am wide awake. I've had two cups of coffee, thrown the frisbee for the dog and read several chapters of a book. Steve is still.asleep. Now I am listening to the birds song and the wind blow through the trees. And there are a lot of trees.
I am in Graeagle, California, a place of unbelievable beauty.  We arrived yesterday at our rented cabin filled with kitschy decor  - lots of bears and moose. It is exactly what we need.
Thus is the calm before the storm. But it is a happy storm approaching.
My son Eddie is getting married on Saturday. His bride, Grace, has really been part of the family for years, the wedding just makes it official. But a wedding is first and foremost a celebration and that is exactly what this wedding will be.
Friends and family start arriving today and keep coming over the next 40 hours or so. I am smiling just thinking about it.
I think how much fun Maggie would have at this wedding and I miss her, but it doesn't make me sad.  I have learned that missing her is different from sadness and grief.  I smile thinking of her joy and just wish she was here. I have also learned to recognize and respect emotions as they come. And this is a good one.
I believe this is called Happiness. I am happy that Grace will be my daughter in law. I am happy that my son is happy. I am looking forward to seeing Tim as Best Man. I am looking forward to the wedding itself.
Steve and I are so proud and happy and somewhat in shock that this moment has arrived. In our minds Eddie is still about 4 years old bossing everyone around.
I wish everyone could be here to share in this happiness, even if it is not on the same level as the mother of the groom. I do wish Maggie was here. I always do. She would probably be happier than me. 
And that is very happy indeed.

This beautiful engagement photo was taken by Grace's mom Kim. It is timeless. 

5 comments:

  1. Sally, to you and your family, the best of EVERYTHING. This post was just what I needed on a drizzly San Francisco morning. We send as much love as we have your way (and with Nina, we have that ❤️ in ♠️s), but we receive so much MORE of it in return...

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is everything. Congratulations and blessings to all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To hear you say you're happy is music to my ears...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can hear the happiness in your voice :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a wonderrrfull day, and I am so happy to be officially connected to the family as well. p.s. love that picture, who took it?? hint hint.

    ReplyDelete

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.