Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Changed For Good

Many of you that attended Maggie's services asked about the song Grace sang at the vigil. The song was called "For Good" and it's from the Broadway musical "Wicked". (Several people thought it was the song from Frozen that just won an academy award. It wasn't, but Idina Menzel sang both songs.)

The first time I heard this song I was sitting in the audience watching the play. Immediately I thought this song is about Maggie and me. I downloaded it and listened to it a million times and it almost always made me cry. It was a given, then, that it had to be part of Maggie's memorial services. I was just going to play a recording of it, but I decided to put Grace (Eddies' girlfriend) completely on the spot and ask her to sing it. I had never even heard her sing, but I knew she was good from what Eddie had shared. Though she had never even heard the song before, and the song is actually designed to be a duet,she agreed to do it. This was Sunday and she was going to perform the song in front of hundreds of people on the following Thursday, four days later.

She did a beautiful job. Beautiful. Suffice it to say, there was not a dry eye in the house when she sang the song. It could not be more appropriate for summing up Maggie and her relationship with me and as Grace points out, pretty much anyone else who ever met her.  I am including the video of Grace singing the song,

Who can say if I've been changed for the better? Because I knew you I have been changed for good.






1 comment:

  1. So beautiful, Sally. And thank you, Grace, for your beautiful and brave rendition of the perfect song. Never were there truer words sung --

    ReplyDelete

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.