Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Five years

I started this blog in August 2008. That means you have been following our life with Maggie's for five years. Thank you for that.

When I realized I hit the five year mark I started going back through the blog. I see dozens (or hundreds) of pictures of a little girl smiling or laughing from her wheelchair. Maggie's shining personality makes this life one of wonder. Really, she makes it all look so easy.

Of course it is not easy and there's plenty of that too. I started writing this blog as a release of my fears. At the time our home nursing was in peril and I was panicking at the thought that Maggie would have to be placed outside our home. Maggie was very unstable in those days and I doubted then (and now) if she could survive without the attention she gets here. I started sharing stories that I thought we would no longer get to experience because she wouldn't be able to live with us.

That didn't happen. The Regional Center vendorized me and I have been taking care of staffing and paying the nurses ever since and just get reimbursed by the State. It's been a ton of work, but Maggie has had very consistent care. Her erratic health finally stabilized and, though maintaining that is a ton of work, all is well in Maggie World.

Though the original reason changed, I continued to write the blog. I loved sharing Maggie's stories and found that many people enjoyed reading about them. Our "normal" is anything but and people are interested. I like to think that a few attitudes about the disabled have been altered because of Maggie.

I don't have stories every day anymore, which is a good thing. Many of the stories were of close calls and emergencies and hospital stays. Those are happily on the back burner now (knocks wood); and the backlog of stories from Maggie's early days are well chronicled now. I find myself writing something and then realizing I've told it before. No need to broadcast my addled brain anymore than necessary. We are sticking to fresh and new stories.

The stories will continue as long as Maggie and her life continues to inspire, and I don't see that ending anytime soon. For now Maggie and I are off to attack another day. Perhaps we will tell you about it tomorrow.

Thank you for you interest in our World.







1 comment:

  1. Happy blogaversary! I feel very blessed to have met you here and then in the real world, and I'm glad that you continue to regale us with stories of Maggie's life. You can tell them a hundred times as far as I'm concerned, as your sense of humor and Maggie's irrepressible spirit always interest me!

    ReplyDelete

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.