Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Language Cop - political style



 I know many cringe at political correctness and I know I've been on this soapbox before, (see Language Cop tag),  but it is way past time to stop using or laughing at those who use the word "retarded" as a synonym for stupid.The only stupid ones are those insensitive enough to use it and offend challenged individuals everywhere.

Now it has entered the political arena.

"At an election party last night, Pennsylvania’s Allegheny County GOP Chair, Jim Roddey, brought the crowd to laughter and applause by calling an Obama supporter “mentally retarded.” Roddey, who is a long-time supporter of Mitt Romney, told the joke to a crowd of about 200: “I was very embarrassed. I was in this parking lot and there was a man looking for a space to park, and I found a space for him. And I felt badly — he looked like he was sort of in distress. And I said, ‘Sir, here’s a place.’ And he said, ‘That’s a handicapped space.’ I said, ‘Oh I’m so sorry, I saw that Obama sticker and I thought you were mentally retarded.’” http://thinkprogress.org/election/2012/08/08/655801/obama-sticker-mentally-retarded/

I can't even count the things wrong with this, but I can start with 1) a political party chair, albeit at a county level, finds it OK to use in an official capacity and 2) that 200 people would laugh and applaud.

I don't care what your politics are or who you are going to vote for or why. This is America and everyone gets to think what they want and vote for whomever they want for whatever reason. I have mine, you have yours. Great. That's what makes this country work.

We also have free speech, and I am a huge supporter of that. But as the saying goes, freedom isn't free. Saying whatever you want comes at a price. People will hold you accountable for the things you say. Yes, you can SAY whatever you want, but people can also object to or agree with it as they wish.  That too is what makes this country work.

Sometimes when people disagree they boycott your business as we've seen recently in the Chic-Fil -A debacle. Sometimes when they disagree, they change their vote.

 It will be interesting to see if anyone touches this.





1 comment:

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.