Sunday, April 22, 2012

Whew!

The busiest weekend in recent memory is drawing to a close. It was go go go.

I laughed 1000 times yesterday at the reunion, seeing some people I have not seen since I graduated from high school back when Calvin Coolidge was president. Ok, maybe not quite that long.  I actually had a bit of laryngitis this morning from trying to talk over or with 500 other women simultaneously.I did take one serious thing away from that reunion. Seeing all those together women is making me rethink my commitment to just let my hair go gray. They all look so fabulous!

Just before the reunion started I received a text from a nurse agreeing to take the Saturday night shift so we could do our quick trip to Monterey and back. If he hadn't taken the shift, I would not have gone because there just would not have been time. The morning was a bit frantic. Every single time we decide to try something, our nursing falls through or some other glitch arises. I was bound and determined to make this work and called and texted every nurse we have for over an hour. Filling an overnight shift  for Saturday night at the last minute is not easy, but Rudy came through and we were off.

Monterey is about two hours from here. Steve picked me up from the reunion and we were there in time to take Eddie to dinner. Steve drove the entire way, which was a good thing because I fell asleep after about 10 minutes in the car and woke up in San Jose. We visited with Eddie and returned home by about midnight so we could greet the night nurse who came to our rescue. Steve drove home too, and again I slept for about half of the ride. This happens every time we take any kind of road trip because I actually relax and BAM! I'm out like a light.  I decided maybe I shouldn't complain about being tired since he did all the work while l snoozed. He slept in today and had a free day of puttering.

This morning I set Maggie up with her talker and the first thing she said was "Mom, I miss you." I was gone for 12 hours and she very sweetly let me know that was really not acceptable to her. I just smiled and said, "I missed you too Mag, but I always come back, don't I?"

The weekend wrapped up with a wonderful afternoon spent with Elizabeth who I was meeting in person for the first time. We are blogging friends, and fellow warriors in this life with disabled teenaged daughters. Maggie told jokes and charmed her and her friend Jody, who I also know. I met Elizabeth through Maggie World (virtual) and I met Jody through Maggie's World (actual). Now Elizabeth can slide into the "actual" slot as well.  Seems like she had been there for years.  We connected like old friends and talked for hours.

I took her to the airport and said goodbye and drove home with a big smile on my face. It was a great ending to a great weekend. I solved the nursing crises, spent time with my husband and son, reunited with old friends and connected with a new one.

Of course it's not really over. Maggie is off school tomorrow for some teacher day or something. That means another day of activity.

Time for another nap.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.