Friday, September 16, 2011

Wait here.

I wonder how much of my day is spent waiting for some body or something. I wait for Maggie to wake up so I can do the last push to get her out the door in the morning. I wait for the verrry slow elevator to take us downstairs, I wait for the school bus, I'm on hold with doctors offices, supply companies, agencies, insurance companies and everything else. We wait for appointments with doctors and therapists, we wait for the night nurse to arrive, and for the meds to be ready at the pharmacy. We wait for deliveries of diapers and food and other supplies. It's time lost. I can't really do anything else but busy work because I know I will be interrupted.

I live in "The waiting place." Dr. Seuss cautioned against it in the wonderful book "Oh the Places You'll Go"


You can get so confused that you’ll start in
to race down long wiggled roads at a break-necking pace
 and grind on for miles across weirdish wild space, 
headed, I fear, toward a most useless place.

The Waiting Place…for people just waiting.

Waiting for a train to go or a bus to come, 
or a plane to go or the mail to come, 
or the rain to go or the phone to ring, 
or the snow to snow 
or waiting around for a Yes or No 
or waiting for their hair to grow. 

Everyone is just waiting.

Waiting for the fish to bite
 or waiting for wind to fly a kite 
or waiting around for Friday night 
or waiting, perhaps, for their Uncle Jake 
or a pot to boil, or a Better Break or a string of pearls, 
or a pair of pants or a wig with curls, 
or Another Chance. 

Everyone is just waiting.



I'm in that "useless place" right now. Waiting. And it's particularly frustrating when I have to wait for something Maggie related suring the school day while she's not even with me.  I had my jacket on all ready I'm ready to go out but couldn't. I'm in a holding pattern.  The oxygen guy called at 10AM and said he would be here between 11-2. Hmm. Should I run out quickly and come back or wait. I can't miss him,. the tank needs to be filled. I asked him "Do you think that's closer to 11 or closer to 2." He said between 11-12. OK. I'll wait here first. I did my banking on line, started another load of wash and folded the three loads that had piled up on top of the dryer. I cleaned the kitchen and started the dishwasher. It's only 11:45.

Tap tap tap.

I could clean out my dresser or my closet, but let's not be ridiculous about this whole thing.

ahh-- doorbell.

1 comment:

  1. I write this a lot on your blog, I think:

    Sigh.

    It's for feelings and situations that I do know.

    And thank you for what you said about bears and fish. It was very powerful for me.

    ReplyDelete

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.