Thursday, February 25, 2010

Par-Tay

Maggie’s birthday is next Wednesday. Because I am having surgery Tuesday we will be in no shape for a proper celebration on the big day; hence we are having a party tomorrow in school.


I have to get he Maggie Mix 2010 cd prepared. Thanks to my niece Nina and from some of you (especially Elizabeth M) I have the songs, I just need to burn the cd’s. So the music will be set. You might be wondering what sort of themes we are having. Maggie and her teacher picked that out and I have to commend them on their very original choice.

Pirates? no! Surfing? No. Disco? no.

Maggie is having a pineapple party.

Yes, that’s right, pineapple.

Ms. Taylor(Maggies teacher) talked with Maggie about what she would like and this was the result. Why? you may ask. All I can say is why not? Maggie loves pineapple. She likes the sound of the word and she likes the texture and even the taste.

Even though she gets 100% of her nutrition from her gastrostomy tube,(“g-tube”) Maggie does get to taste certain things. The choices are very limited because of her severe allergies to so many things and her aversion to certain textures in her mouth. For some reason pineapple passes both tests. Pineapple is something she loves. Therefore, a pineapple party it is.

Maggie and I went to the party store over the weekend. I was thinking I would have to find Hawaiian or Tiki decorations and try to find pineapples that way. Au contraire. We found pineapple lights and many pineapple decorations and we bought ‘em all. Today I am going to make a pineapple upside down cake, buy some pineapple spears and order Hawaiian pizza for the party.

Other than her classmates and others from Mission High, just my mom is coming along with Steve and me. When I called to invite my mother, I told her about the theme and she said. “Perfect, I’ll wear m pineapple jacket.”

Of course she has a pineapple jacket. What 82-year-old mother of seven, grandmother of 20 and great grandmother of three doesn’t.

Maybe that’s where Maggie gets her joie de vivre.


6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Maggie!!!!
    We'll have some pineapple and
    throw back some Mai Tais for ya!!

    amanda and the girls

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pineapples are a symbol of welcome or of hospitality. (I never knew that either till a friend told me). What a perfect appropriate theme for a party.

    T.C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. T.C. - I didn't know that, but I will share that info tomorrow morning with Maggie's classmates!.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't know if you'll get this or not before the party, but the reason that pineapples are a symbol of welcome and hospitality dates to the 19th century, when sailors from the East Coast, especially on whaling ships, would travel all over the world, sometimes for years. They would often bring back a pineapple as a symbol of where they had been, and put it on their gatepost to signal that they were now home. As a result, on Nantucket and other northastern seacoast communties, you can to this day see pineapples carved in gates and doors. (I am a font of useless knowledge. Really.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ekie - Just in time. I'm going to print your comment and bring it with me to the party. Everyone will learn something.

    I too am a fot of information - but NONE of it is useless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pineapple goes good with lemonade, too! I knew about the hospitality meaning - learned that while touring renovated 19th century homes. Often there were pineapples carvings topping the posts of beds.

    Looking forward to reading about the party.

    Thinking of you tomorrow while you have surgery. Barbara

    ReplyDelete

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.