Monday, September 21, 2009

Curiouser and curiouser

It?s supposed to be 90 degrees here today. I just put Maggie on the bus in her jean jacket because the fog is so thick you can cut it with a knife. It will be interesting to see if it lifts and the beautiful hot weather is hiding underneath. Stay tuned. I will be complaining about the heat in just a few hours.
Yesterday we went down to Pier 39 ? in fact check out the Smile Box gallery on the last post . It was beautiful down there, the fog was burning back and the day was warm and perfect. I stopped at a bench to feed Maggie and realized I forgot her food. I had the tube and the water, but never put the can of food in there. Ulp. I gave her some water and we started back to the car. I always have emergency supplies in there.
We get out and about early and finish our outing as many others are starting theirs. As we returned to the car, many families were passing us heading toward the wharf and Pier 39. I pressed the button and to door opened and the lift came down. Steve was rooting in the box for a can of food. Maggie was positioned to load into the car and I realized we had a fan boy. This little guy was about three and he was FASCINATED by the ramp. His mom was trying to get him to keep moving, but he had to investigate this phenomenon. He was as cute as can be.
He looked and looked at it and I smiled at him and he said ?why you have dat and why her go in dere?? I said, ?that?s where she sits, see there?s no seat there and she can just sit in her wheelchair.? He cautiously moved closer to see inside the car. His mom was looking apologetically saying he?s in ?that curious? stage. I said it was fine, we would all be better off if we stayed in that stage longer.
He came a little closer and inspected the whole setup. He was like an engineer figuring out a problem. He was still several feet away and was not bothering anyone. He was just a curious little boy who still had the innocence to ask questions.
As he peered into the car and looked at Maggie?s chair. I heooked her feeding tube to her stomach and started opening the can of food. Holy moley! If he thought the wheelchair ramp was a curiosity, you should have seen him eying this. His eyeballs almost popped out of his head. He could not bring himself to ask, though and just slowly walked over to his mom, eyes never leaving Maggie. The mom was smiling at him and Steve and I were trying not to laugh.
He walked away hand in hand with his mom, still looking back at Maggie and us. Finally he raised one hand slightly and waved. Steve and I just grinned at each other. Maggie was already grinning because she was finally getting fed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.