Friday, July 24, 2009

Teach Your Doctors Well

Maggie is home again. Woo Hoo! Thanks to all of you for the good wishes.

They changed her to oral antibiotics and sent her home. She is really not very sick. Apparently the broncosopy she had on Wednesday just overwhelmed her. Thursday was rough, breathing wise, and after the chest xray showed infiltrates, the pulmonologist admitted her. She had a rough evening on Thursday, but slept well and was much better on Friday. I know from experience if you don't get out of the hospital by noon Friday, you are stuck until Monday. I started lobbying hard, but it really didn't take much to convince anyone.

Maggie kept busy working the controls on the bed at 2AM. She kept trying to make it move but it was hard work for her. Either she couldn't isolate the finger to hit the button or she couldn't press the button hard enough. She is concentrating in this picture, not sleeping. Once in a while she would get the bed to move and then she could not stop laughing. This is when I knew she didn't need to be there.



I had a huge fight with two young residents on Thursday night. July is a bad time to go to a teaching hospital. All the new docs start on July 1. Not only are the new green doctors a bit over anxious, there are the newly promoted 2nd and 3rd year residents who are preening for the new docs.

It felt like the more senior resident was conducting a class for the younger doc entitled, "I will show you how to deal with a parent." Perhaps her heavy handed techniques which included doses of parental guilt and scare tactics work on some parents. Me? Not so much. I changed the curriculum of that class a little bit. Hey, it's a teaching hospital, I was just doing my part.

My husband says after I did my part those two residents are reconsidering their career choices.
I am Maggie's voice - and it turns out she has a REALLY big mouth.

P.S. Shout out to Junior, one of my loyal readers, who IS still inthe hospital with pneumonia. Get well, my young friend. Try moving the bed, it apparently has healing powers.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Sally,

    I'm so glad you are home! Thanks for doing your part to further graduate medical education. You are Maggie's voice and I know you never lose sight of that. Good for you.
    Julia Hallisy

    ReplyDelete

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.