Thursday, July 30, 2009

Keeping entertained

Trying to keep Maggie entertained this month is tiring. We definitely have an outing every morning. She needs to get out and about and loves doing that. Once we're out she's great. Maggie is happy wherever we go; a walk in the park is just as much fun as a trip to the hardware store. The problem is waiting to go out.



She is ready to go at 7:00AM. I am not. It's generally 9 or so before we get going because it helps if places are actually opened for business. Also, I have to time things to work with her schedule of procedures. We only have three hours between procedures and I don't want to do them when we're out if I can avoid it. For example today she has therapy at 11:00. We can do the procedure, go to the bookstore, go to therapy and be back in time for the next procedure. However, if I start too early, we can't get all that accomplished. So she has to wait.

I am trying to conserve my body a little bit and minimize the lifts. I've pulled something in my left arm and every day it hurts more and more. Considering I have to lift her 66lbs twenty times a day, the chance of it healing quickly is slim. Minimizing the lifts means she waits in her bed, which is full of things to play with, until I'm ready to rock and roll. (emphasis on roll).


Maggie's bed is very safe, my husband created it especially for her. She cannot fall out, there's room for lots of stuff and she can see what's going on. She slams the side rails for entertainment or to get attention. I can see her from where I sit and keep up a running dialogue with her. I stepped into the kitchen to get a cup of coffee. I could hear her in there thrashing around and I kept telling her I would be right there.

When I walked back in it was quiet. Maggie had fallen asleep. All her hard work trying to escape must have worn her out. I had to grab the camera. She woke up as I snapped this, you can see her peering out through the slats.

I was out of the room for maybe two minutes. In that time she had worked herself into this position, unzipped her pants, ripped her diaper and fallen asleep.

Oh well, at least we had stuff to do before we went out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.