Friday, April 17, 2009

Mom, What are you DOING?

I was surprised to learn that Maggie was in trouble in school yesterday. It seems the class met for their morning meeting and Maggie did not have any “news” to share. I did not understand that at first. When I heard her news from school, I understood that she refused to share her news, which was surprising enough. However, when the nurse arrived to wait for the bus I learned that in fact Maggie’s news was not on the computer at all. That is strange, because I know I programmed it, but apparently I forgot to save it. Or I have reprogrammed some other important page on her device that will rear its head at another inopportune time. Time will tell.
Maggie’s voice, homework, and overall cooperation are dependent on her forgetful, technology challenged and often-overwhelmed mother. I can barely keep myself together and I am supposed to make her look good too? Puh-leaze.


Fortunately, because of Maggie’s good nature and mischievous outlook she LOVES it when I screw up. She finds it hilarious when I am trying to “reason” with her communication device or accidentally press “clear” right when I am done programming it. She stiffens up and laughs her head off, especially at the predictable “&*$@*!%#!” that follows. When Dad says,”Maggie, what did mom say” she really cracks up.

Maggie loves the rushing around in the morning. She howls with laughter at me asking where she has thrown her other sock. She is used to having me brush her hair as we descend in the elevator generally with her shoes balanced on the back of the chair. She smirks when the nurse arrives and notes some piece of equipment not on the chair so that I have to run upstairs and get one more thing while the nurse puts her shoes on.

The thing is Maggie likely knows well before I do what I’ve forgotten, or that I’ve failed to program the computer correctly, or that we’re going to have to really rush to meet the bus, or whatever the issue is. She knows everything but she is dependent on me to be able to communicate it. Since I am clueless, she just waits for me to realize it or for someone else to point out the mistake and then she laughs and laughs. The payoff never fails to entertain her.

It is a good thing Maggie finds my ineptitude so entertaining. Can you imagine if she was a perfectionist that had to rely on me to be her voice and the one in charge of the presentation she make to the world? You could add an additional set of problems to her already long list. She is stuck with me and my flighty ways, so it is a very good thing she has a sense of humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.