Thursday, February 12, 2009

Resources

The internet is an amazing thing. We have all just accepted this as a resource tool, but there are times when you have to just sit back in wonder at the information at our fingertips. I am sitting on my couch in front of the drafty windows, but I’m not getting up because I keep finding more and more information. I can’t even remember what I started looking for, but I’m way into surf mode, now.

As a parent of a disabled child, the internet has allowed for parents to connect with one another far easier than in the past. If you or your child have a rare syndrome or disability, you can find someone across the street, country, or across the world who is dealing with the same issue. It is very helpful to know you are not alone out there.

Because of writing about Maggie I have connected with a couple of other resources. I found some and Some found me. This is due in part to a “blog carnival”. The way I understand it a blog carnival is like a magazine or maybe a bulletin board highlighting various blogs on a specific topic. This is not just for disability, the disability blog carnival is one of hundreds there. There is everything from taxes to traveling to Europe on a budget. If there is a topic you are interested in go to http://blogcarnival.com/.

I’ve really only looked at the disability blog carnival. The way it works is one blogger hosts it each month and other bloggers submit entries of their own or someone else’s to be highlighted. This months is found at River of Jordan: Disability Blog Carnival #53: Pot Luck and there is a link to a post I did last month. It’s a wonderful way to connect with other families dealing with similar issues.

Another resource is www.5minutesforspecialneeds.com and the other “5 minute for” sister blogs they have. Again, this is a community effort to share information and experiences on given topics. I know there are thousands more out there. If people have favorites, feel free to post them in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.