Monday, January 5, 2009

It's 4:53 AM. I'm the night nurse. Arrrrgh. And it's all my fault. Maggie's regular night returns from vacation TODAY, not yesterday. I've been so confused about the days of the week, I just spaced. And of course about 15 minutes before she was supposed to arrive, I realized it was the 4th, not the 5th and I said, "you know Steve, I don't think anyone is coming." Can't blame anyone but me, though. I could have easily filled the shift....Oh well.


Right now Maggie's meds are being delivered via nebulizer while she sleeps. Her three meds take over an hour. I just threaded the cord through the side of the bed and attached it to her trach mask and voila! I don't have to stand there holding the nebulizer for an hour. Two meds are going in now and I will add the third when those finish. The third med is the crazy expensive antibiotic that is so strong I'm supposed to wear a mask while it's being delivered so I don't breathe it in. Or I can sit here, five feet away and outside the door. She just has to stay asleep for my evil plan to work. Quick break to change things. #3 med is going now. Fingers crossed she sleeps.

I did fall asleep for about an hour, and then woke with a start, sure that she was not breathing. She was fine. Maggie really does kick the side of the bed when she wants something, including suctioning. Of course there is a chance that she wouldn't be able to do that, so I don't sleep usually, but I didn't get any sleep in the evening because I didn't realize I would be doing the night shift until it was too late. I don't want to hit the coffee now, though. Steve will come down about 6:AM and let me sleep for a while.

Fortunately Maggie returns to school today so if her gets her on the bus I can sleep for three or four hours. I have to bring the power chair back to school, but I can do that around 11 and get four good hours of sleep first. I should be able to sleep again from about 1 to 3 if I need it, so I can function until an early bed time. Generally today will not be that bad, but I am good for nothing tomorrow. I have learned to sleep as much as possible today so that the "hangover" effect doesn't drag on for too many days. I am old and need my sleep schedule. Pshaw, old has nothing to do with it. I couldn't stay up all night when I was in college either.

You need to see her new bear. It's employed as the tube holder fright now ( I wedge the bear so that the nebulizer can rest in one place and deliver the meds properly. Otherwise I'm just spraying stuff out into the room.) But the bear itlsef was a gift from a friend who came over yesterday. My friend, who is gay, wasn't sure that Maggie had any gay toys, so he gave her a "Pride Pal". This bear is wearing a leather jacket, armband and hat and has pierced ears. But the earrings are handcuffs. It is hilarious. Maggie loves it, especially because she loves the guy who gave it to her. We named it last night. I suggested Gaylord, but Maggie said no. I tried several different names, including Biker Bear, but all were nixed. She finally said "yes" when I suggested Papa Bear. So that's the name.

This is taking me about an hour to type because I have to keep getting up to deal with Maggie. She's still asleep, but she knocked my set-up over so I had to reconfigure things. So I decided to take the picture after all. Well I'm off to administer the other four meds and get her dressed and ready for school and then hit the hay.


Don't call here today. I'll be sawing logs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.