Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year

I cannot believe this year is over. And what a year it has been. The country changed: the economy collapsed and we made a historic choice electing our new president. My household changed too.

With both boys away at school, the dynamic of the household changed. Poor Maggie stuck here with just her old parents. It took us a while to get into a new rhythm, and we are still tweaking it. Just as we seem to achieve it, they come back and we start over again. Maybe that is the rhythm.

Maggie’s overall health changed too. My love/hate relationship with her trach continues. It is very difficult to maintain her trach and I am tethered to her by the length of a suction cord; but the proper care keeps her healthier. Yes, she has been on antibiotics for 6 weeks now, but we can handle it here.

Maggie is almost 15 and 2008 is the only year of Maggie’s life that she stayed out of the hospital. She has had healthy years in the past but has never gone an entire year out of the hospital. In 2007, Maggie was an inpatient for at least 60 days. In 2008 – zero. That is remarkable. We had lots of outpatient stuff, but that doesn’t count. She slept in her own bed every single night of 2008.

The nursing situation changed as well. More responsibility falls on my shoulders. I have to find, hire and fire the nurses that care for Maggie. I have to pay them myself and then seek reimbursement from the state. It is a ton more work, but we have had much more reliable shift coverage since then. Her nurses love her and take good care of her.

In addition, in 2008 I started writing this. It is very cathartic for me. I have *met* so many new people because of this and I appreciate all the support and feedback I get from all of you.
Happy New Year everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Its been wonderful for me and my eight year old twin girls to follow you and Maggie all year. I think it was a great educational tool. I think maybe my twins have a better appreciation for what is going on in others peoples lives. We thank you and Maggie, and look foward to spending 2009 with you!
    Happy New Year!!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.