Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Hey Abner!

Tim left for college this morning.We may not see him until Thanksgiving. It was tough to say good bye for all of us. Maggie gave Tim a kiss goodbye. That's her kiss pictured- she just touches your lips with her hand.

While packing and cleaning out his room Tim filled a plastic bag with all the loose change he found. He took it to a cash machine and collected $324!! It pays to clean your room! He bought himself a new television set for his dorm room with the money, and then promptly forgot to put it in the car. He didn't realize it until they arrived at the school. Oh well it was nice of him to buy us a new set.

So Maggie and I are on our own until Steve comes home tomorrow. I'm sure we can find some trouble to get in. Actually, Maggie already accommodated that this morning by pulling her trach out and sending me flying for the emergency supplies to change it. Because she's more stable now, it's not as scary as it was a year ago. I still have to move fast to make the change, but she's not in distress right away as before.

It serves me right. It was a little smack down for being a nosy neighbor. I was checking out the arrival of an ambulance and fire truck up the street and trying to figure out what was going on. I was not paying attention to Maggie and that is a punishable offense.

I have a lot of responsibility. I have to keep abreast of all the developments on the block and never take my eyes off Maggie.

There's a reason Gladys Kravitz didn't have kids.


6 comments:

  1. And the alphabet soup of the paperwork with a disability is an entirely new language we all must learn.
    Nikki
    (Mother of Emily, age 33, DD/CP/TMH)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right - and soup it certainly is. I can blather on in acronyms and abbreviations and sound like an alien. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi- bluesgirly over on Live Journal posted a link to you site. I was just reading your entries and I am just blown away. You are extremely elloquent (not that you shouldn't be...) and have some very poignant thoughts. Thank you. It's nice to learn more about something I really don't understand. It's a good thing you are doing. I hope you don't mind if I pop in once in a while.

    Your daughter is also very beautiful. A smile that goes for miles... :)

    Missy S

    ReplyDelete
  4. bluesgirly is the coolest, isn't she? I welcome her readers and thank her for the link. Also thank you for your comment. Poignant sometimes, irreveverant at others.
    It's a balancing act.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maggie is sort of a Gladys Kravitz herself, from what I know of her,and probably wanted to be included in the action. Sheesh! Thanks for the great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is a complete Gladys. SHe ses all and knows all - and as soon as she can do the programming on her dynavox, we will get an earful. Looking forward to MOnday. Hope she's healthy. Triple Sheesh! Sally

    ReplyDelete

Hi Maggie loves your comments. It may take a while for the comment to post, but you will see it eventually.